Monday, June 15, 2009

Beginnings and then some...

New beginnings. That is one of the best things about life. You see, you get up and every morning is a new day. You don't know what it's going to bring, but you always hope for the best. That is, if you're a dog. If you're human, well, you might hope for the best, but you generally prepare for the worst. Can you really be prepared for the worst? You may think you are, but when it happens, you realize you probably weren't as prepared as you might have liked. So from a dog's perspective, we just look for the best, and handle the rest as it comes.

I know whereof I speak. Sitting here now in front of my computer, in air-conditioned comfort, I have come quite a distance in the last week. You see, one morning I got up, tail wagging, and set out to look for the best the day had to offer. Unfortunately, the best it offered was getting dropped off at the local humane society by my previous owners. Things had been going downhill, I admit. I was looking bedraggled, and food was a bit scarce, but still, I had a home. Then in a blink of an eye, I was dropped off like an extraneous bit of flotsam, and left in a strange place with strange dogs. For me, that was almost the worst that could happen.

But life takes turns, and good comes out of bad, and here I sit. I admit I was pretty down the day my new family rescued me. They almost missed me, hiding in a corner as I was. I learned a valuable lesson from that. I almost gave up hope, and in doing so, risked everything. I have a home, good food (only the best for me, I am told), and all the accouterments that a dog could ask for. Most importantly, I am pretty much adored. And when it comes down to it, to the bare bones as it were (and I am terribly fond of bare bones), what more do we need? Family, home, food...a place to rest our heads in safety.

But that's just a dogs view.

3 comments:

  1. awww Brady... you are adorable. And quite the intellectual. Who knew? Your smile is contagious (in addition to other things). So glad you found a home with our dear friends. Tug says "kewchoo".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I forget to add good friends to my list of bare bones? It seems almost greedy to do so, and yet...it's hard to imagine life without them! And Tug, God bless, and my deepest apologiest for spreading germs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brady. I needed a dose of optimism on this rainy day! And when are you going to write again? Don't tell me you're busy......!

    ReplyDelete